Thursday, February 21, 2008

Weekday trip

So last night I met up with a former Lieutenant from Langley who was with me in Iraq. He actually lives up here in NoVA; but this is the first time we had gotten together since I moved up here. We had good reason too though. That reason being, one of the British guys we worked with @ NATO (we call him Dizzy) in Baghdad was in the area. He actually works on the AWACS (Google it), so he and couple other guys were in the "area" for training. Now why did I put "area" in quotes? Because we had to drive about 70 miles out to see them. They were at Solomons Island, MD, which just happens to sit right on the Chesapeake Bay.

Never heard of it? Yeah, me either. Haha...man what a quaint little place. Although it must be nice being on the bay...but I wouldn't know; being it was in the black of night the whole time we were there. Anyways, had a grand old time hanging out with 4 Brits in this little pier side seafood place, then 2 of them retired and the rest of us tried to find a place to have a drink. Well, we found it...again a quaint place...but awesome hearing stories about the Falkland Islands from Dizzy. Then we made the drive back to DC and I was back home by midnight.

But yeah, things like this remind me how cool it was to be in the military. Something like that never would've happened if I had been a civilian my whole life. Heck, I even I have a free place to stay if I ever make it the UK!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael,
Glad you had a chance to meet up with some of your "mates."
Maybe you, Mom, and I can check out that area some time. Hopefully in the daytime.
Looking forward to next weekend.

Morgan said...

Believe it or not, I've heard of Solomon's Island. Tom's mom lives in Bethesda MD but she docks her sailboat at Solomon's (: Glad you had fun.