Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day 2009!

The day has finally arrived...and I couldn't be more prouder of our country! The atmosphere in the DC area has been just electric these past few days, culminating with today's main event. Unfortunately, I was not able to partake in the parade...the organizers pretty much said you had to make a choice...and I think I chose right.

I can tell you that if you don't like crowds, you would not have liked this day at all. Anyways, I started off the morning trying to get on the Metrorail...and my worst fears came true. The trains were already packed by the time they pulled into my station...and I'm talking packed! While staring at the aforementioned train I was lucky enough to hear the station manager say there were shuttles above ground to take one to downtown...which ended up being an awesome deal. For one, it was a free ride, wasn't too packed, and they dropped us off right in front of the Holocaust Museum, which is right near the Mall. This leads into the worst part of the day and that was just trying to get through the initial crowd of people onto my viewing spot. That being said, it's amazing how friendly people were with all the crowding and the bumping going around.

I can tell you that I will never forget this day as long as I live, I'm so thankful for living where I do and the ability to be a part of this historic moment. The energy was insane...it was awesome to get in on the cheers of "Obama, Obama!" and clapping with all my fellow American citizens. I felt myself overcome with emotion on quite a few occassions, mostly just by throwing a fist in the air and screaming my head off. No doubt, I will be looking for a DVD of today's events to keep for posterity and to remind me where I was on cold, brisk, yet sunny, morning of January 20th, 2009.

Inauguration of President Obama


Needless to say I walked home...which I hadn't done yet...it's insane how close I actually live to this stuff. Only about 3 miles!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, what a great day for this country. We could not be with you in person today, but we were with you in spirit. Thanks for sharing those great pictures.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Dad
GOD BLESS AMERICA